Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Red, Yellow, and Blue Versions

    So as I had mentioned before our next still life for Painting I would "allow" us to use the three Primary Colors red, blue, and yellow. Which in theory allows us to create a multitude of colors we couldn't produce before today. With the ability to create many more colors come many more problems. I've always had trouble mixing paint to create the colors that I want, I can see and understand color, but I have trouble putting them together correctly.

[Cody's still life in progress]
    Looking at it again after having stared at it for hours now the more developed areas, which would be the cloth behind the shelf, and the banana to some extant actually look alright. Even with the three colors we have access to now though we are still limited. For example I don't have a cool red, so I cannot create the EXACT maroon/red color of the cloth behind the shelf. I didn't really think about it until my instructor saw me struggling to mix the values.

    We'll see how it ends up by the end of next week.

-Cody

       When I mix paint, I'm great at it. Although the process requires me to use a lot of paint before I get the correct color. I'm bad at portion control, in life all together, so I'll use more paint than I should to create a color. At least I get the end result some how. It's not very efficient, but it works.  My painting is coming out alright. My teacher tells me to slow down, so do a lot of my teachers... I'm very ahead of everyone already and I've only worked on it for 3 hours. I know I work fast, but I also pay close attention to details, so I'm not sure if it is a bad thing. It is not like I'm rushing and not looking at things. I'm surprised I'm  the one who is rushing, compared to Cody. The way he works his sketches and his digital pieces it always seems like he is the one rushing. I guess the tables have turned.

[Allison's still life in progress]

    I'm not used to doing still lives zoomed out. I always crop the image so much so I get a close and intimate piece. The more I see "professional" still lifes I notice that they aren't so cropped, or zoomed in. You see a good portion of the still life in the frame. I had to change my composition to this one (above) because my last one focused too much on the negative space in the center. 

-Allison"

"Even if you polish a turd, it's still a turd" -someone our sculpture teacher quoted 

No comments:

Post a Comment