Friday, September 19, 2014

Skull-pture Part I

    On this fine day, of September, we started a new sculpture project. Skulls. I have to say, this is much more difficult than the casts of the facial features. I've never worked from a three dimensional object. You might argue that the mouth and such are 3-D but they are different planes on a flat surface. That's how I see it. This is going to be a challenge and I'm excited. I've got a good likeness down in the time we were able to work on them in the first class. Now, I have to get in deep and make sure I capture the details correctly.

[Allison's skull in progress] 

    Our wallets parish at every project... I scavenge through the garage at my house for hardware to make the armature for the sculptures. Which reminds me, do you wonder what to get me/Cody for holidays and birthdays? Don't want to waste money on something we might not use/like?  THERE IS A SOLUTION. Lyme has a beautiful thing called a " Lyme Gift Card"  It is a refillable gift card that can be used anywhere on campus. Including the school art store. If any of you are ever interested in donating $5 (or maybe if your generous $10) once in a blue moon. Contact us! We can give you some more info on how to donate some of that pocket change you've collected in a jar somewhere. It's very simple too, just a call away.

-Allison

[Cody's skull in progress]

    As I write this now, it's been a few days since we actually started these sculptures, 4 to be exact, because I just remembered to bring my camera to school. I've got to do better with that next week, we need some more pictures of what we've been working on. We've also started on new paintings, and done a few drawings this week.

    Back to my skull here though, I like where it's going to far, but I've been having trouble seeing exactly how to form the outside shape of his eye sockets[I believe the skull is male?] so he's gone through a few different phases of expression. For a while he seemed elated to be here, now he looks a mid more melancholy than he needs to. I still haven't given him any teeth yet either so it's a little silly looking anyways. We'll get some more shots up once we've finished them here.

    I'm heading back from Allison's house now and I'm going to do some much needed sketching/painting for myself with my tablet, maybe I'll share that tomorrow.

-Cody


"To be an artist, you have to nurture the things that most people discard."  -Richard Avedon

No comments:

Post a Comment