Thursday, February 12, 2015

Something to Share

     I can't think of anything interesting to start off with, but I do have some work to share. Today in drawing we had our first in class model. We worked on charcoal portraits all day, I ended up with one I think came out pretty well and the other started off poorly. I ended up not finishing it up.

    I tried to spend a lot of time looking at the way his face was truly shaped and in the end I actually captured a pretty good likeness. He was looking a bit like Keith David when I was about halfway in, but I pulled it back to the model.

[Cody's charcoal portrait]

    Yesterday was our last day in painting for our most recent still life, I still think parts of it work alright and others don't. The skull is something I may come back to, most of it is painted in an entirely different manner than anything else.

[Cody's vanitas still life]

    Tomorrow I've got Perspective and I guess we're starting a new painting. I better see what size canvas I'm going to need...

-Cody

    This was the first time we've done a figure in drawing class. I've done them before at TRCC, but I'm still rusty with portraits. I believe it came out better than I expected. I ran into a bad spot though and had to re-size the whole head. Which I was relieved to have done so easily. When things are messed up in my drawings I usually have to do so much to make it correct because I forget to measure things properly. This was an easy fix and I'm glad I made the decision to.  My work isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. But I also am satisfied with how painterly it looks and how my hand applies the marks.


[Allison's charcoal portrait]

-Allison

"Were it so easy" -The Arbiter[Keith David]


1 comment: