Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Popular Art

    So today with a good chunk of the new incoming students to Lyme we went to the Yale University Art Gallery, in New Haven. After a pretty long bus ride, of which I haven't had since around middle school because I walked to school in high school, we arrived. There was a lot of art from all over the world from many different eras on display.
 


    Hundreds of beautiful pieces of work, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they had some pieces by Roy Lichtenstein, a pop artist whose worked I've enjoyed and "studied" through various projects and reports throughout my academic career in middle, and high school.


    It was pretty amazing to see some of these pieces in person for the first time, photographs and scans give off the impression that the art is exactly perfect. While still tedious, and meticulously put together the artists hand is visible if you can put yourself 6 inches away from the canvas'. Which is something I enjoy very much in art, one of the things that makes something a piece of art, rather than a piece of media to me is the link to the artist themselves.

-Cody

No comments:

Post a Comment