Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Painting 1...

    I've taken many "painting 1" classes or differently named equivalents over the course of my education, so I was a bit wary of having to take another. I was told they wanted to teach me how to paint well and correctly so that I could move forward knowing how to paint correctly.

    It turns out that I won't be wasting any time, because though I may have painted before, I've never used oil paints before, nor have I had a room full of students who want to learn how to learn just as much as I do. Not everybody is in the same place with their art, and It's humbling to be put into a room of people who a lot are just as good if not better than myself at what we're doing.


    I'm going to try and focus as much as I can on actually observing what's in front of me and taking my time. I've always had a problem with not knowing how to proceed, or feeling like I'm done long before I ever reach a "presentable" point.
    
    So we'll see how that goes...

-Cody


Media introduced today: Oils
Difficulty level: fairly easy if you're an artist
Difficulty level today with a new medium: what the freak am I doing.

So we used oils today. I have never used them in my entire life. Some emotions I went through today while learning oils:
Confidence
Unsure
Sadness
Hopeless
Frustrated
Rage
Sobbing (internally)

I realized a lot of these kids in our class are pretty good, it bothers me though that they are 18 years old. And here I am. With an Associates in Visual Arts , and their work is just as good, or better than mine. Although there's always that one kid that isn't that great, and you're like " alright! I'm not the worst!" It gives me hope 

Side note: I played a mean game of ping pong today between classes. Plus my English teacher is super rad and she's like " you're artists you don't wanna be here, I get that. We can do whatever we want" 



Here is my oil painting it's the same subject as Cody's , but in a different location. It looks pretty lame now that I see it in a photograph.

-Allison

Feel free to leave us a comment, or discuss our work and all that's going on with us. We'll be trying to post at least Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday regularly so keep an eye out.

"Remember, only you can prevent wildfires." -Smokey the Bear


3 comments:

  1. Allison ... Smokey Bear is one reason the forests are on fire, without proper care and maintenance of our National Forests the understory is just a kindling box ready to go up in flames. The "let it be and mother nature will take care of it" no longer applies to our forests, that's why a fire is so hard to put out these days.

    Is that an apple? Kiddin' you guys are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cody .... why is it that I have to learn from Kari-Ann about this site? I will keep an eye on yous two (ok two eyes), you are doing great! I painted in oil just last week too, yeah spilled some oil on the garage floor and while I was wiping it up whoala ... Jesus! Similar to my reverse pyography on that piece of burnt toast .... that I ate.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!
    Love dad ... I have some homework to do now, later dawg!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dad, sorry I didn't think you "interneted" enough to care.

    ReplyDelete